How To Prepare Banga Soup
Banga is also another popular nigerian soup made from the sauce sqeezed from palm fruit (Elaeis guineensis) and is incredibly highly rich in nutritional value.
Ingredients for banga soup
Washed bush meat
Meat stock or water
Salt to taste
Mortar and Pestle
Method of Preparation
- Place the washed meat in a large pot, add a drop of water or meat stock
- Season with salt and grounded pepper and boil for 30 minutes or until tender
- Add the smoked fish and stock fish
- Cook for another 10 minutes
- Prepare the oil-palm nut to extract the oil by boiling the washed nuts for 20 minutes until soft
- Remove from water and pound in a mortar with pestle to remove the oil
- Pass it through a sieve to separate the kernels from the chaff
- Pour the strained pulp into the meat together with the sliced peppers, onions, tomato and okro
- Sprinkle in the crayfish and cook for 15 minutes until the soup is fairly reduced and thickened to coat the back of spoon.
Check the seasoning and serve with pounded yam (iyan) or Usin/Egun obobo (starch and plaintain pudding)
Note: fresh fish, crayfish and shrimps could also be used instead of meat with a small amount of ground egunsi (melon seeds) added instead of okro. Freshly washed bitter leaf could also be added.